Westborough, Mass. – The charitable foundation supported by Columbia Gas of Massachusetts’ parent company, NiSource Inc., announced today that it is donating $255,000 to Massachusetts nonprofits to provide coronavirus (COVID-19) relief support across the Commonwealth.
“During this extremely difficult time, it is more important than ever to support our communities and the organizations that provide a safety net for the most vulnerable populations,” said Carrie Hightman, Chief Executive Officer of Columbia Gas of Massachusetts. “We have a longstanding history with many of these organizations and know they are best positioned to use these funds to help those in need while fulfilling their very important missions.”
Funds will be distributed to Massachusetts chapters of the American Red Cross as well as Boys & Girls Clubs, hospitals, YMCAs, community centers and homeless shelters throughout the state, as follows:
- The American Red Cross of Massachusetts is receiving $75,000 to support its chapters statewide. With these funds, the American Red Cross of Cape Islands and Southeast Massachusetts, the American Red Cross of Northeast Massachusetts and the American Red Cross of Western Massachusetts will each receive a $25,000 donation to support their pandemic relief efforts.
- Father Bill’s and MainSpring in Brockton is receiving $40,000 to hire additional staff and purchase supplies for the emergency shelter as the need for such resources increases significantly each day.
- Brockton VA Hospital is receiving $20,000 to purchase technology for its residential units so veterans can virtually visit their families and engage with others as they remain isolated during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Old Colony YMCA is receiving $10,000 to support a variety of services, including emergency child care services for first responders, healthcare workers, essential personnel and other vulnerable populations. The funds will also be used to help the YMCA operate dozens of essential community-based programs that service at-risk, homeless and elderly populations, including setting up virtual groups to help those who are self-isolating.
Greater Lawrence Area Organizations
- Lazarus House is receiving $20,000 to serve hundreds of guests daily by providing grab-and-go bags for meals and groceries. The funding will help them meet their commitment to staying open and serving those in need by providing necessities in light of the pandemic.
- The Lawrence Council on Aging & Senior Center is receiving $20,000 to deliver meals to those who are quarantined and self-isolating, in addition to assisting staff members who are working to translate health and public information for local Spanish-speaking residents.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence is receiving $10,000 to support its provision of warm to-go dinners Monday through Friday and the provision of virtual support to children who typically visit the center, such as offering live online yoga and meditation classes while the club remains closed.
- The Methuen Arlington Neighborhood Community Center is receiving $10,000 to support the distribution of hundreds of meals to students throughout its neighborhoods, as well as school supplies to children in the community who are doing projects from home due to statewide school closures.
- Friends of the Homeless is receiving $40,000 to help keep their Worthington Street Homeless Shelter open. The funds will help secure staff and provide additional resources for food preparation and cleaning and sanitization of the shelter.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Springfield is receiving $10,000 to support their “Good Morning Heroes” program, which will provide grab-and-go breakfast bags to first responders in appreciation of all they are doing to keep the public safe and healthy.
About NiSource Charitable Foundation
NiSource established the NiSource Charitable Foundation, with a mission to help create strong and sustainable communities where our employees and customers live and work. In close collaboration with NiSource employees and community partners, the foundation seeks opportunities to provide funding and encourage volunteer support for non-profit organizations in the areas of safety, economic and workforce development, environmental stewardship, STEM and energy education and basic needs and hardship assistance.
About Columbia Gas of Massachusetts
Columbia Gas of Massachusetts delivers clean, affordable and efficient natural gas to over 320,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Massachusetts, the greater Springfield area and the Merrimack Valley. Headquartered in Westborough, Massachusetts, the company is the largest gas- only provider in the state and is one of NiSource’s seven regulated utility companies. NiSource (NYSE:NI) is one of the largest fully-regulated utility companies in the United States, serving approximately 3.5 million natural gas customers and 500,000 electric customers through its local Columbia Gas and NIPSCO brands. More information about Columbia Gas of Massachusetts is available at www.ColumbiaGasMA.com.
NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) is one of the largest fully-regulated utility companies in the United States, serving approximately 3.5 million natural gas customers and 500,000 electric customers across seven states through its local Columbia Gas and NIPSCO brands. Based in Merrillville, Indiana, NiSource’s approximately 8,400 employees are focused on safely delivering reliable and affordable energy to our customers and communities we serve. NiSource is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability – North America Index and the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index and has been named by Forbes magazine among America’s Best Large Employers since 2016. Additional information about NiSource, its investments in modern infrastructure and systems, its commitments and its local brands can be found at www.nisource.com. Follow us at www.facebook.com/nisource, www.linkedin.com/company/nisource, or www.twitter.com/nisourceinc. NI-F