Springfield Technical Community College has opened a STEM Center that features resources and services to assist students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Students who visit the facility can use a computer lab, study lounge and take advantage of other services, including exam proctoring, career exploration and class support.
“We’re thrilled to open the STEM Center on campus, which we hope will inspire our students to excel in their classes as they prepare for exciting careers in STEM fields or to transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies,” said Barbara Washburn, interim dean of the School of STEM.
Funded by a U.S. Department of Education HSI STEM grant, the STEM Center offers services and academic support for all students taking STEM classes. With an enrollment of more than 25 percent Hispanic students, STCC is designated a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), which makes the college eligible for federal grants to expand opportunities for students. STCC is the only technical community college in Massachusetts.
In addition, the center features collaborative spaces for group study, tutoring, supplemental instruction and group meetings.
In a grand opening on Dec. 11, Washburn joined President John B. Cook and other staff, faculty and students from STCC for a ceremonial ribbon cutting at the STEM Center and open house.
The following are some highlights of resources and services at the facility:
- Student study lounge: This colorful, comfortable area features rolling dry erase boards to work out homework problems.
- Computer lab: Twenty-four computers are loaded with STEM software for student use. Students can borrow headphones while using the computer lab.
- Exam proctoring: Students in various STEM classes can drop into the STEM Center for quiz or exam make-ups. A STEM Center staff will proctor while you work.
- Career exploration: Students can meet with academic advisors one-on-one and in group sessions to examine career options.
- Class support: Tutors in various STEM courses are available for individual or group tutoring sessions. Supplemental instruction leaders (students who offer peer tutoring) also hold sessions in the center.
- Workshops, lectures and documentaries: In a multipurpose room, the STEM Center staff hosts a number of workshops, lectures and documentaries for students, faculty and staff throughout the academic year.
Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., the STEM Center is located in Building 17, Room 425, on the STCC campus. For more information, call (413) 755-4660 or email email@example.com.